One of the most important Islamic rituals is prayer, so it very significant to learn how to pray in Islam step by step. In Arabic prayer is called Al Salah and it is done five times per day. Al salah is obligatory for each Muslim adult and it is the second Islamic pillar. Allah ordered us to pray for him at five different times throughout the whole day:
- Salat ul-Fajr→ this is the dawn; before the sunrise.
- Salat ul-Zuhr→ this is the midday
- Salat ul-Asr→ this is in the afternoon
- Salat ul-Maghrib→ this is just after the sunset
- Salat ul-Ishaa’→ this is between the sunset and the midnight
“Indeed, prayer has been decreed upon the believers a decree of specified times. (103)”
Allah has ordered us to pray for him to remember our Lord and ask for his help regularly. While praying, we should thank our God for all his gifts and express our respect and love for him. Al Salah is essential for us to feel that we are free to meet Allah whenever we need. Also, the prayer lets us recognize the Allah exists everywhere through the surroundings and can see us all the time.
How to pray in Islam step by step
Praying is not just saying some words while doing various movements. Al salah should involve your mind, soul, and body. Actually, before starting, you have to be prepared for this spiritual worship. It is exactly like a private serious meeting with your boss, you have to be ready and organized. You must put everything aside and care with your salah because it is essential to be concentrated during the prayer.
“Say, Indeed, my prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the worlds.(162)”
To perform an accepted salah, there are some steps you should do first:
- You should be aware of the salah’s times in order not to miss any of them.
- You must clean yourself by the Wudu’ to meet Allah in your best form.
- Prepare a clean place to pray and you can use a special praying carpet and put it in the right direction (facing the Ka’aba)
- Wear proper and clean clothes; for men, cover your shoulders and from the navel to the knees, and for women, cover your whole body including your head and just leave your face and hands uncovered.
How to pray in Islam in English
Muslim scientists agreed that it is not valid to read the holy Quran in any language other than Arabic. Allah sent it in this language and if it is translated, it becomes just an explanation of his own words. According to this obligatory condition, you need to learn some short chapters from the Quran to pray. First, you must memorize surah Al-Fatihah because it is recited in all prayers, and choose a few short chapters to be memorized easily. Besides, if you understand the meaning of Al-Tashahud, it will be very simple to recite it each prayer.
Surah Yusuf: “Indeed, We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur’ān that you might understand. (2)”
Al Tashahud→ Attahiyatu lillahi wassalawaatu wattayyibaat. Assalamu a’layka ayyu hannabiyyu wa rahma tullahi wa barakaatuh. Assalamu a’layna wa a’laa ebaa dillaa hissaaliheen. Ash hadu allaa ilaaha illallahu wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan rasoo lullaah. Allaa humma salli a’laa Muhammadin wa alaa ali Muhummadin, kama sallayta alaa Ibraheema, wa alaa aali Ibraheem. Wa baarik alaa Muhammadin wa alaa ali Muhummadin, kama baarakta alaa Ibraheema, wa alaa aali Ibraheem, innaka hamee dummajeed.
Meanings→ Salutations, all good things, and all prayers are for God. The peace and mercy of God be upon you, O Muhammad. Peace be upon all of us, and upon His righteous servants. I bear witness that there is no God except God and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of God. O God bestow honor upon Muhammad and upon his family just as You have bestowed the honor upon Abraham and his family. And O God, bestow Your blessings upon Muhammad and his family just as You have bestowed Your blessings upon Abraham and his family. In all of the worlds, You are the most praised and the most glorious
How to pray in Islam for beginners
- Make an intention inside your heart that you are prepared for prayer then say “Bismillah”.
- wash your hands till the wrists and between your fingers three times.
- Rinse your mouth three times.
- Splash the water into your nose then blow it out three times.
- Wash your whole face well three times.
- Wash your right arm from the wrist till the elbow three times, then repeat it with your left arm three times.
- Wet your hair from the forehead till the back passing to the neck then back to the forehead only once.
- Clean your ears with your fingers; inside the grooves and behind the ears only once.
- Wash your feet to the ankle three times, start with the right one then the left, and be sure that water reaches between the toes.
- Prepare the prayer place and wear your clean proper clothes.
- Make an intention that your salah is for Allah then raise your hands up to the ears facing the direction of Macca (al qiblah) and say Allahu Akbar.
- Place your right hand on the left one and both on your chest, read surah Al-Fatiha then another short surah or some verses.
- Say Allahu Akbar and assume the position (2) in the photo then repeat Subhana rabbiyal azeem (Glory be to my Lord, the Almighty) three times.
- Stand up and say Sami’allaahu liman hamidah (God hears those to praise Him) then Rabbana wa lakal hamd (Our Lord, praise be to You).
- Say Allahu Akbar and assume the position (4) in the photo and repeat three times Subhana rubbiyal a’ala (Glory be to my Lord, the Highest) and ask Allah for what you want or dream (duaa).
- Say Allahu Akbar and sit for a moment then say again Allahu Akbar and repeat step number 6.
- The previous steps represent one complete Rak’aa.
- Say Allahu Akbar and repeat the steps again according to the prayer.
- Take the position (7) in the photo to recite Al-Tashahud then turn your face right and say Assalamu alaykum wa rahma tullaah (May the Peace and mercy of God be upon you) then to the left and say Assalamu alaykum wa rahma tullaah (May the Peace and mercy of God be upon you).
Note: you must recite half of Al-Tashahud after two complete Rak’aa in the prayers except al fajr because it is already only two Rak’aa. And this is simply how to pray in Islam step by step.
How to pray in Islam for kids
Our kids, those new Muslims in our home should be learned everything about their religion gradually. They must know how to pray in Islam step by step. First, Al-Salah should be learned when they become seven as our beloved prophet said. If you feel that it is a hard mission, get my advice and set a plan:
- Buy them new colored clothes special for prayer
- Get them their own prayer carpets
- Use the coloring sheets to speak with them about the importance of praying for Allah
- Be the best role model for them and keep your salah on time
Picked for you:
- How to talk to allah | How can Muslims communicate with Allah?
- Online Quran learning for kids | Activities for kids learning Quran
- Six benefits of the congregational prayer (Salat al-jama‘ah) in Islam